For almost 17 months now, the days have become indistinguishable from each other and more often than not, I would wonder where the time has gone. To say that I have been unproductive is an understatement. There are days when my greatest accomplishments include getting up and taking a shower!
Maybe Albert Einstein is right. Time is relative. Time can either be slow or fast, depending on how you look at it. In the grand scheme of things, the Earth being 4.543 billion years old, 17 months is miniscule. If we are in lockdown with not much else to do, 44.676 million seconds is long-drawn-out.
How have we spent all those 517 days? Aside from (occasionally) working and over thinking, there are several pastimes that I have found entertaining.
1. Read. I have already been reading before the pandemic, but the lockdown has given me more time to read than ever.
2. Write. This is my 71st blog post and I have enjoyed it so very much! 10 Useful Benefits Of Blogging
3. Garden. I do not really have (nor do I want to) a green thumb, but I saw this DIY basil kit and thought Sophia might like it.
4. Watch. Lately I have been spending time watching movies and shows in keeping with my self-development project. 10 Inspiring Lessons From “The Pursuit Of Happyness” Movie
5. Play. Having a 7 year old, this is probably a given. Pre-pandemic, I was so impatient when I play with my daughter. I mean, it takes a game of snakes and ladders 30 minutes at least! The other day, we played monopoly and I was fine waiting 20 mississippis for her to give me my 24 dollars change.
6. Study. Like I always tell my daughter, the learning never stops.
Sophia: Mommy, I am nervous. I am like, 9. Do I need to learn? I am so smart!
Mommy: but you still need to learn! Even me, I am still learning, you never stop learning!
7. Cook. I am not much into this, but I enjoyed it with my daughter. The One Where Sophia Made Carbonara
8. Eat. I am not much of a foodie. But lately I am trying to be more mindful when I eat, which is a little bit more difficult when I have FRIENDS playing in the background.
9. Exercise. Moving is part of my daily goals this month and I have (only) missed 7 so far. Certainly productive, but lately I do not really feel like doing it.
10. Connect. I miss going out and meeting people in the flesh, but I suppose video calls and zoom meetings will do for now.
We may feel like we are so unproductive, but all the little things we deem insignificant add up to a relatively good (if not great) day!
How are you spending your time lately?