I was not feeling particularly good yesterday, and my weekly inspirational movie might just be what I needed. Hearing real-life stories from different people from all walks of life kinds of put things in perspective. The Netflix documentary inspired me to try again and take control of my life.
Date With Destiny is a place you go to uncover who you really are and what you’re really about at this stage of your life. This program is right for anybody who’s hungry. Anybody who’s looking for more. If you’re not hungry, it’s the absolute wrong program for you. Don’t even think about coming. You get eaten alive in this environment. But for somebody that’s hungry… I got an experience for you, baby. I’m bringing a mirror. I’m bringing crazy tools. I mean, I’ll be off the charts. I’ll be weird. I’ll be bizarre. I’ll seem gross. I’ll use the science of taboo language because words have the power to pierce the conscious mind. Look, I’ll do whatever the eff it takes to break the pattern, so you can reclaim who you really are.Anthony Robbins
Here are 10 of my biggest takeaways from the film:
1. You’ve been so hard on yourself. I love that you have such high standards. But those aren’t high standards. That’s called “perfection.” And most people overestimate what they can do in a year, and they underestimate what they can do in two or three decades. And you haven’t been around long enough to have those extra two or three decades, so don’t fuck it up. There’s time. And if you give yourself just a little bit of time… and if you’ll be a little more loving to yourself… I think you’re gonna find you got a lot to give.
2. Day 1. Preparation Day. Our entire life changes in a moment. What I want you to know is if you’re gonna have a breakthrough, when someone says, “It took ten years to make a change,” what you really find out is that changed happened in a moment. It took you ten years to get to the moment where you finally said, “Never again! I quit! Let’s begin! I love you! I do! It’s over!” Our entire life changes in a moment. And I want you to get that what we’re gonna do is have lots of those moments. And you can have as many as you want. There’s no limit here. You can break through multiple times.
3. If you’re gonna blame people for all the shit, you better blame them for all the good, too. If you’re gonna give them credit for everything that’s fucked up, then you have to give them credit for everything that’s great. I’m not asking you to stop blaming. I’m saying blame elegantly, blame intelligently, blame effectively. Blame at the level of your soul, not the level of your head.
4. You wanna know what our biggest problem is? You think you shouldn’t have them. ‘Cause problems are what make us grow. Problems are what sculpt our soul. Problems are what makes us become more. If we can realize that life is always happening for us, not to us… game over, all the pain and suffering disappears.
5. Day 2. Evaluation Day. Push will wear you out. When you’re pushing to do something, you only got so much willpower. But when you’re pulled, when there’s something larger than yourself that you’re here to serve and that you believe you’re made for, that brings energy. And every time another thing transforms, another soul’s touched, I get more energy, more strength, and I make more distinctions. And my job is to dominate the problem out and bring out, within that person, what’s really strong.
6. Day 3. Discovery Day. We all get what we tolerate. You were made to love unconditionally. And the more we do… the more we experience the “human” in humanity. We experience our true nature… and we feel deeply alive.
7. Day 4. Relationship Day. Heal the boy and the man will appear. Two of the greatest fears we have is that we are not enough, and if we are not enough, they will not be loved. What it takes to make a relationship work is really simple. It takes unbelievable courage, because this takes you to the rawest place in yourself. This is the place, also, the rewards are greater. If you want to talk about spirituality, that’s wonderful. Going and sitting and praying is a beautiful thing. Going in a cave and meditating, that’s not an accomplishment. Try being with a human you love 24/7, whose love you desire, and keep growing spiritually there. That’s where you’re gonna be challenged, not by yourself.
8. Day 5. Transformation Day. Stay in your head, you’re dead. Write down your primary question. Questions control what you focus on. What you focus on is what you feel. What you feel is your experience of life. Write down your mission statement, one core sentence that’s designed to be a trigger for all that you are. We want one phrase that’s gonna be really what you’re here to experience and what you’re here to give, what you’re here to be and what you’re here to do.
9. Day 6. Integration Day. We’re meant to grow so we have something to give. It may be my own bias, but I really don’t believe people really feel fulfilled staying where they are. And the reason is life is growth. Maybe for a period of time, it’s nice to have a respite and go, “I kind of like being here. I don’t wanna go after something new. Let me breathe and take it in.” But if you sit at the table of success too long, you’re gonna get bored. Progress equals happiness. If you’re growing in anything, financially, spiritually, emotionally, in your relationship, in your body, you’re gonna feel better in your life. That’s what we’re made for. And I think we’re meant to grow so we have something to give. You can’t give something you really don’t have.
10. I think destiny is two things. It’s who you’re gonna become, and what’re you gonna give in this life. See, most of us are so busy surviving, making a living, they never design a life. And if you don’t take the time to design it, which is what we’re doing here, you’re gonna miss out. You’ll snap your fingers, and ten years will happen. You’ll look back and go, “Where did it go?” Ten years from now, we will surely arrive. The question is, “Where?”
I just Googled and there is an online Date With Destiny event this coming December. The good news is it is at 37% off! Bad news is still cannot afford it. I hope someday I can attend!
My favorite Tony Robbins line from the documentary is this: If we can realize that life is always happening for us, not to us… game over, all the pain and suffering disappears. What is yours?